Skip to main content

Weekly update 20/52 Springtime and Best friend t-shirts

May is a beautiful month although this year has been much colder than usual. Kalkum Schloss park is our go to place during the spring - it has a nice little pond where the kids can collect tadpoles and let them go again after. They are happy walking around looking and collecting for hours. It is a great spot to enjoy nature. The geese walk past with their baby geese. It is amazing to watch the moorhen chicks running on the water lily leaves and to hear the frog croak loud. If you are lucky you can also see the turtles living in the pond. And by dusk the muskrat comes swimming around the pond. 

The pictures of the books - well first of all I love books!
I have been done a good job this week and gone through all my books and the kids books.. I don't need to keep all the books that I read - right!? And in my life I have transported many books around the world from Sweden to Prague back to Sweden and some followed to Moscow and then back to Sweden and then a new bunch of books to Düsseldorf and now back to Sweden. 
I put together a big pile of Swedish kids books which we have already read and no need to keep. I offered them to the Swedish school here in Düsseldorf and the teacher came and picked them up. My books many of my pockets that I have read and will never read again I have got rid of, feels good to go through and clear out a bit
And
because I have been so good sorting out. I have space for some new books right.. I went by Oxfam second-hand shop on Nordstrasse and found three interesting books which had to come with me home. 

The Rehearsal - Eleanor Gatton
A Good girl's guide to murder - Holly Jackson 
The half burnt house - Alex North

My creative work this week 
I have been making some iron on designs with my Cricut. Our move from Düsseldorf is getting closer and closer and it is very emotional to leave after five years - this is our home with all our everyday routines, school, friends etc etc. Mila has a best friend in school and the have kept together for four years now and it will be super hard to say Aufwiedersehen when we school is finishing for the summer. I made matching t-shirts for the girls - friendship t-shirts and I thought it is better to give it to them straight away so they can use them together. 


I also made prints for t-shirts to one of my best friend daughters a few weeks ago which arrived to them

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Update 24/52 Making leaving gifts and wine ladies

During week 24 I have been working on preparing thank you gifts for kids teachers and friends. I like to give something symbolic which also can be useful. This year I decided to buy water bottles for the teachers and to make them personalized writing their name and some flowers on them. I bought plain smaller bottles at IKEA. With my Cricut i designed and cut it out of permanent vinyl. With adding vinyl on the bottles, they can only be hand-washed otherwise the vinyl will come off.  After five years in Germany I have gotten so use to saying Frau Janssen rather then using her first name. So I decided that I will use the last name because that is the only name the kids use. Funny how you get use to something that I from the beginning thought was so stupid and old fashion.  When I was playing around with my Cricut I also figured out how to transfer my wine ladies into svg file which is needed so the machine can cut out my illustrations. I did a test with iron on transfer vinyl. I made the

Weekly update 23/52 Düsseldorf Art journals, Tonhalle and pool season

End of May beginning of June this wonderful time of the year and it is starting to be more and more emotional and real that we soon will be packing up and leaving. After this very cold spring it is nice to finally warm up and that the pool season has started. Here in Wittlaer Düsseldorf we have a local pool in Kaiserwerth Freibad Flossenweg where we go to swim. On a normal school day in the afternoon it is not too bad with people but on a hot hot weekend it is very crowded. It is kind of funny living in a place where you meet parents from school and neighbors first fully dressed and then undressed in the pool.  One amazing experience was seeing Düsseldorf Tonhalle from inside where Mila and her school together with four other schools in Düsseldorf had a Sing Pause concert. It was magical to hear them all sing in this old planetarium which has been changed into a concert hall.  My Creative work has been focusing on personalizing Art journals. I bought plain brown paper art journals to t

Weekly update 40/52 Autumn colors and cinnamon buns

Welcome October the most colorful month of the year. Yes we are going full steam towards the darker and colder part of the year, but I have to admit it is cosy and pretty with all the colorful leaves.  I don't know if it is a new thing to have theme days where a dish or something is being celebrated. I am guessing it is a capitalistic marketing great idea so companies can make more money like Valentine day. One of those days in Sweden is 4 of October when our national bakery Cinnamon bun is being honored. I got inspired! Some time ago I bought nice linnen tea-towels which I was planning to make some print/design on and when I got inspired by cinnamon bun I knew exactly what to make. I started scribbling and drawing buns on a big sheet. When I had one or two which I thought looked ok I transfered my bun drawing to my Cricut and had it cut out on iron-on vinyl. My mum is a master in baking buns and so I made a tea-towel/baking-towel in honor of not only cinnamon buns but of my mother