Skip to main content

Easter in Wittlaer

Easter has been and gone long time ago, but anyways I thought I will write a few words about our Easter 2019 here in Wittlaer, Düssledorf. Actually it was our second Easter here. It was Easter time 2018 when me, the kids and my dad came down first time to Düsseldorf to see our new neighborhood and house which Loren had picked and already lived in part-time for a couple of months. He was nervous that we would not like it and I was nervous that we would not like it. The house was pretty empty because our furniture moved from Sweden during the summer but anyways we got a good feeling and felt positive that the move to Düsseldorf will be a good move.

A year later and we feel like this is our home and know our ways around.
Easter 2019 was summer warm - 25 degrees and sunny
A childhood friend of mine and her son came to visit us. Anything special you want to do or see I asked and she said " Enjoy the city feeling and see tall buildings" And so first day we went with U-bahn into citycenter of Düsseldorf. We walked along the Rhein in the hot weather and had beer and lunch in the restaurants right by the river. We walked past Schlossturm it is the last remaining part of the City Palace which burned down in 1882 and an important building in Düsseldorf and today home for a maritime museum. My friends son really wanted to visit the museum and as we had not same interest we said no not right now, probably he will remember the museum he never got to visit forever. Instead of museum we tried ice-cream at a very popular ice-cream place in the city before we headed home and instead of city enjoyed the nature close to us.

I love the little stream down by Einbrunger Mühle (mill) It is so mysterious and calming with the little walking path next to it. It is something about the small stream which slowly flows through the green forest and eventually will join the river Rhein where the water flows fast and far. Kids was throwing sticks in the water and followed them flowing down the stream. And of course they wanted to feel the water and ended up with socks and shoes in the water.




In the evening Mila came to the great idea that we should have snacks and drinks and watch the sunset on our balcony. I have to admit we don't use the balcony very often because we have the garden but this was a very good idea and hoping to repeat it this summer.




The following day was also very nice and warm and we decided to have a bike-ride and to show Kaiserwerth and the beach on the river Rhein. The sun was very strong and warm that I had to go and sit in the shade for a bit and kids had to test the temperature in the water.






The Easter rabbit had hidden Easter eggs while we were gone and kids were happy although a bit  suspicious that it was us and not a rabbit leaving the eggs. Mila was anyways happy it was traditional Swedish Easter eggs ( eggs you can open and fill with sweets) as she had been a bit worried it would be chocolate eggs which she doesn't like. So all happy and quite sitting on the stairs having sweets.

For dinner we prepared a pretty traditional Swedish Easter dinner with herring, eggs and meatballs etc. But added Asparagus and Hollandais saus which is in season now in Germany. 

On the Sunday we got invited to friends in Rittergut Kaldenberg (an old manor here in Wittlaer dated back to 1437 which has been converted into apartments) to go on a egg hunt and Easter breakfast together in the garden. A very nice initiative and the magic of being an expat is that we can create new traditions together with other internationals when we are far away from our home-countries, families and traditions we have there. A mix of flavors from many different cultures and countries and from the the country we live in. I am very grateful for this adventure which we are having here in Düsseldorf. 


We waved bye bye to our friends and hoping they want to come and see us soon again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Update 24/52 Making leaving gifts and wine ladies

During week 24 I have been working on preparing thank you gifts for kids teachers and friends. I like to give something symbolic which also can be useful. This year I decided to buy water bottles for the teachers and to make them personalized writing their name and some flowers on them. I bought plain smaller bottles at IKEA. With my Cricut i designed and cut it out of permanent vinyl. With adding vinyl on the bottles, they can only be hand-washed otherwise the vinyl will come off.  After five years in Germany I have gotten so use to saying Frau Janssen rather then using her first name. So I decided that I will use the last name because that is the only name the kids use. Funny how you get use to something that I from the beginning thought was so stupid and old fashion.  When I was playing around with my Cricut I also figured out how to transfer my wine ladies into svg file which is needed so the machine can cut out my illustrations. I did a test with iron on transfer vinyl. I made the

Weekly update 23/52 Düsseldorf Art journals, Tonhalle and pool season

End of May beginning of June this wonderful time of the year and it is starting to be more and more emotional and real that we soon will be packing up and leaving. After this very cold spring it is nice to finally warm up and that the pool season has started. Here in Wittlaer Düsseldorf we have a local pool in Kaiserwerth Freibad Flossenweg where we go to swim. On a normal school day in the afternoon it is not too bad with people but on a hot hot weekend it is very crowded. It is kind of funny living in a place where you meet parents from school and neighbors first fully dressed and then undressed in the pool.  One amazing experience was seeing Düsseldorf Tonhalle from inside where Mila and her school together with four other schools in Düsseldorf had a Sing Pause concert. It was magical to hear them all sing in this old planetarium which has been changed into a concert hall.  My Creative work has been focusing on personalizing Art journals. I bought plain brown paper art journals to t

Weekly update 40/52 Autumn colors and cinnamon buns

Welcome October the most colorful month of the year. Yes we are going full steam towards the darker and colder part of the year, but I have to admit it is cosy and pretty with all the colorful leaves.  I don't know if it is a new thing to have theme days where a dish or something is being celebrated. I am guessing it is a capitalistic marketing great idea so companies can make more money like Valentine day. One of those days in Sweden is 4 of October when our national bakery Cinnamon bun is being honored. I got inspired! Some time ago I bought nice linnen tea-towels which I was planning to make some print/design on and when I got inspired by cinnamon bun I knew exactly what to make. I started scribbling and drawing buns on a big sheet. When I had one or two which I thought looked ok I transfered my bun drawing to my Cricut and had it cut out on iron-on vinyl. My mum is a master in baking buns and so I made a tea-towel/baking-towel in honor of not only cinnamon buns but of my mother