Skip to main content

German progress

I thought I would do an update how my German is coming along. My dream is to read this in a couple of years when I will be pretty fluent in German and smile at this update.
I started my German course week 7 this year and it is organized by Internationella skolorna Düsseldorf which is a language institute and a foundation connected to Folkuniversitet in Sweden. Basically Swedes can move down and learn German language and culture here in Düsseldorf for free and German students can apply and learn Swedish - basically it´s a cooperation between the two countries. The school is located very central in Düsseldorf on Berliner Allee on walking distance from Könings Allee and Altstadt.

I am studying German for beginners, A1+ and A2+. I studied French in school so I have no experience more then that I have been to a lot of horse shows in Germany and can say my names is and I live in.... My German studies are full time which means minimum 4 hours tuition each day and a lot of interesting excursions. I said when I applied that I will not manage to go to school everyday because I am working on other things and also want to make sure I get chance to go to the gym at least a couple of days per week. It was ok to start the course even I could not commit full time every week if i tried to keep up and study at home also.
If I look back I have learned so much in these 14 weeks and I am proud of that, even though I have a lot still to learn of course to be fluent and at times I feel frustrated that I can not say what I want to say... It is funny learning new languages two step forward and then one step back.
We have three great teachers which are native speakers which has a lot of experience and they are good at different things. Nadia has a lot of experience of teaching beginning German and she is using great methods such as listening to songs and read, understand and sing the lyrics of the song. Also she figured out we like art and so she has not only taught German but also a lot about art history and art styles. Nadia is the teacher whom I have learned the most from and I love her pictures she has painted instead of following the book. Haike is younger and she likes a lot of structure and grammar. She speaks Swedish so she can help with the Swedish German connection. Jürgen is an old hippie who has showed us around Düsseldorf and also taught us "real" German as you would hear it on the street and not in the schoolbook.
So What have I learn - well yes I can order in a restaurant. I can communicate with four year old kids in kindergarten ( well I understand most and can pretty bad reply but at least I am trying and testng...) Filip´s teacher gave me an applause one morning for saying what I wanted to say in German and that I keep thinking about when I am having a less good day..
Here some of my work in school:



And these are my great classmates also from Sweden, Sebastian and Rose-Marie


And this is "Kö" Könings Allee - my very nice walk to school from U-bahn 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Update 24/52 Making leaving gifts and wine ladies

During week 24 I have been working on preparing thank you gifts for kids teachers and friends. I like to give something symbolic which also can be useful. This year I decided to buy water bottles for the teachers and to make them personalized writing their name and some flowers on them. I bought plain smaller bottles at IKEA. With my Cricut i designed and cut it out of permanent vinyl. With adding vinyl on the bottles, they can only be hand-washed otherwise the vinyl will come off.  After five years in Germany I have gotten so use to saying Frau Janssen rather then using her first name. So I decided that I will use the last name because that is the only name the kids use. Funny how you get use to something that I from the beginning thought was so stupid and old fashion.  When I was playing around with my Cricut I also figured out how to transfer my wine ladies into svg file which is needed so the machine can cut out my illustrations. I did a test with iron on transfer vinyl. I made the

Weekly update 23/52 Düsseldorf Art journals, Tonhalle and pool season

End of May beginning of June this wonderful time of the year and it is starting to be more and more emotional and real that we soon will be packing up and leaving. After this very cold spring it is nice to finally warm up and that the pool season has started. Here in Wittlaer Düsseldorf we have a local pool in Kaiserwerth Freibad Flossenweg where we go to swim. On a normal school day in the afternoon it is not too bad with people but on a hot hot weekend it is very crowded. It is kind of funny living in a place where you meet parents from school and neighbors first fully dressed and then undressed in the pool.  One amazing experience was seeing Düsseldorf Tonhalle from inside where Mila and her school together with four other schools in Düsseldorf had a Sing Pause concert. It was magical to hear them all sing in this old planetarium which has been changed into a concert hall.  My Creative work has been focusing on personalizing Art journals. I bought plain brown paper art journals to t

Weekly update 40/52 Autumn colors and cinnamon buns

Welcome October the most colorful month of the year. Yes we are going full steam towards the darker and colder part of the year, but I have to admit it is cosy and pretty with all the colorful leaves.  I don't know if it is a new thing to have theme days where a dish or something is being celebrated. I am guessing it is a capitalistic marketing great idea so companies can make more money like Valentine day. One of those days in Sweden is 4 of October when our national bakery Cinnamon bun is being honored. I got inspired! Some time ago I bought nice linnen tea-towels which I was planning to make some print/design on and when I got inspired by cinnamon bun I knew exactly what to make. I started scribbling and drawing buns on a big sheet. When I had one or two which I thought looked ok I transfered my bun drawing to my Cricut and had it cut out on iron-on vinyl. My mum is a master in baking buns and so I made a tea-towel/baking-towel in honor of not only cinnamon buns but of my mother