Skip to main content

Swedish Easter

Easter traditions vary quit a bit depending where in the world you come from. Team Nikolovski experienced a very nice Easter brunch at friends yesterday with a great mix of traditions, cultures and nationalities. Great tastes from South Africa, Romania, France, Japan, Czech, Macedonia & Sweden. A wild mix of many different flavors that normally wouldn't be combined and everything tasted divine. Swedish Janssons frestelser without company of sill and eggs but in new exciting company of a spring chicken stew, tuna cakes and sushi mix.  Thanks family Murer for arranging this great great Easter brunch ( your nice brunches by the way should change name as they tend to last way longer then for brunch, more like a lunch, snack and dinner all in one..) lets make it a tradition.

I like getting an insight of other traditions and it also gets me to think more about our Swedish traditions and what part I want Mila to inherit. Swedish Easter as Easter in many other countries focus less and less of Jesus and more of the commercial parts and eating huge amounts of sweets. Here comes a short introduction of Swedish Easter

Easter eggs & Sweets

Recent statistic show that average Swedish family eat 1,2 kilos of sweets every week and during Easter it increases with 1 kilo per person. Pick and mix sweets are not only super cheap these days it also has the top position in all super markets. So Swedes buy colorful Easter eggs made in paper in different sizes and fill them full of sweets. It is the Easter rabbit who comes with the eggs. Hides the eggs in the garden so the kids (and adults) can go for a treasure hunt to find them, great fun but far to much sweets.
My grandmother Maja always used to put socks in my Easter eggs, super boring but the older I get I realize that it is not a bad idea and so I guess that it is what Mila can expect in her future eggs. My mother also informed me that I am not longer entitled for Easter egg now when Mila is here and will be prioritized by the Easter rabbit ( I am not sure what I think of this... Unfair.. I love treasure hunts and Easter eggs..)


Påskkärringar// Easter witches

Easter witches are an old tradition in Sweden and comes from the believe that witches are flying on a broom to "Blåkulla" (Blue hill) the night between Wednesday and Thursday Easter week. This tradition is inspired by the extensive witch hunt that took place in 1660-1670 and since beginning of the 19th century kids get dressed up as Easter witches. Dressed in discarded clothing, gaily colored headscarves, red painted cheeks and lips and freckles, they walk from door to door in the neighborhood and hand out hand-made Happy Easter cards and hope for sweets in return. Great fun to get dressed up as a witch and I remember cursing the neighbors that only gave us boring oranges and not sweets.


Smörgåsbord

As all other Swedish traditions the food is a traditional Swedish smorgasbord (buffé) here you find for example: meatballs, small sausages, eggs, salmon, herring, potatoes, omelet and Jansson´s Temptations (potatoes, onions and anchovy) the dish I made for our brunch yesterday. The food is accompanied with nubbe ( schnaps) påskmust ( alcohol free Easter soda sweet like a coca cola but with a very special taste) and Easter beer.

If you want to read more I found this site about Swedish traditions 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karatänuppdatering

Det har gått 15 dagar sedan jag sist gjorde en uppdatering om Corona statusen här i Düsseldorf Eftersom vi när skolorna beslutades att stängas var sjuka och ganska rejält sjuka hela gänget så kände vi först inte av hur livet i karantän eller isolering var eftersom vi även under vanliga omständigheter hade hållt oss hemma. Om vi hade Corona det får vi aldrig veta eftersom dom inte testar här i nuläget, men jag har aldrig blivit så risig av en vanlig förkylning med hosta, tungt i bröstet och väldigt väldigt lite energi. Det positiva var att det var inga problem att få kontakt med vården och den hjälp vi behövde här i Düsseldorf, vi ringde innan för att kolla om vi verkligen fick komma in med feber och det fick vi fast genom särskilda ingångar på sjukhuset. Känns tryggt också med den mindre barnklinik dit barnen går som vi hittills alltid har fått tid samma dag och även för oss vuxna walk in klinik utan att behöva ringa innan eller långa köer. Jag ska tillägga att vi inte har någon dyr p...

IF: Ocean

Ocean is this weeks topic on Illustration Friday.  Prague is cold and snowy at the moment. A nice warm summer day is far away and so are the ocean. But we keep dreaming of warm sunny days and the ocean far away.  Havet är veckans inspirationsord på Illustration Friday. Prag är snöigt och kallt idag. Sommarens varma väder är långt bort och det är havet också. Men vi drömmer om soliga dagar och havet långt borta. 

A hate-love relationship

 I have a love-hate relationship to washing. I love the feeling of putting things in the washing machine. If I don't have things in the washing basket ready for washing I go for a hunt around the apartment looking for things that can do with a wash. This behavior is totally inherited from my mother who could ask me to take clothes off so she could wash it ( possible that they also smelled a little horsey..) As much as I love the washing moment I hate the feeling of having to fold and put away washed and dried cloths.And don't even mention ironing, I refuse, a crease or two has never hurt anyone... These days the washing pile is bigger but at the same time more bright and colorful. Sweet little clothes for a sweet little girl. Jag har ett speciellt förhållande till att tvätta kläder, en passionerad hatkärlek. Kärleken riktas mot att få stoppa in kläder i tvättmaskinen för tvätt. Finns det inte mycket i tvättkorgen letar jag rätt på något som kan behöva en tvätt. ...